Keep updated with all that's
right for your best friend!
click on this link
to subscribe to our free mailing list.

Return to Fleas Menu


Please tell a friend about Carole's Doggie World:


Surrounded by fleas at home? Don't just blame your dog! Here's the 3-Step solution to eliminating your flea infestation

The most common thing about flea infestations is that they have a habit of creeping up on people.

Most of us lead busy lives, and we may not notice that our cat or dog is scratching a lot more than usual, but we quickly begin to notice when fleas starting biting us and our kids.

Unfortunately, by then, it is all too late, because fleas multiply like crazy and in less than a week, it is possible for families to end up with a full blown flea infestation with literally hundreds of fleas in residence.

Infestations are indicative of "owners allowing pets to venture outside without proper flea control".

And if pets are not protected, it is inevitable that they will fall prey to the opportunistic hitching nature of fleas, which are carried by the wildlife in the outside surrounds of where you and your pet live, or where you walk your dog.

Return to top of page

A flea infestation cycle goes a bit like this

  • Unprotected Fido is allowed outside and eventually falls victim to fleas from flea infested wildlife in your yard.
  • Fido becomes a walking flea colony and within days, your home becomes a haven for thousands of fleas.
  • 5% of fleas in your home will be on your pet, the remaining 95% will be setting up home within your home.
  • You are being bitten, your kids are being bitten and everyone is itchy and scratching.
  • Your house and contents will be full of flea dirt (dried blood).
  • Humans and pets will now be exposed to the diseases carried by fleas.

Return to top of page

It's a dire situation that can't go on. It's time for action. So what to do? And where to start?

Getting rid of fleas and keeping fleas out of your home can be a tiresome and annoying process, but well worth the time and effort you put into it. However it can be a bit of a catch 22 situation, because there is very little point in just treating Fideo without treating inside your home, e.g. carpets, curtains, furniture, beds and the outside surrounds, e.g. sand pits, garden sheds, pet hutches and garden furniture etc.

Getting rid of fleas is a 3-step process

It is imperative that you treat all three areas in tandem.

Treat your pet

Bath your dog with a herbal shampoo and conditioner. The trick here is to lather up your pet and leave the shampoo on for a minimum of five minutes at least. Any less and you are wasting your time. Five minutes are needed to completely drown all adult fleas and kill all of the off-spring in the flea's life cycle.

Use a herbal spot-on treatment and simultaneously attach a Flea and Tick Tag, which once fully attuned to your pet (7 to 21 days) will give full flea, tick and mosquito protection for up to one year.

Treat inside your home

Your most effective weapon of choice should be your vacuum cleaner. Fleas hate vacuum cleaners and in the first instance try vacuuming two or three times each and every day for at least nine days. Flea eggs take three days to hatch, so nine days will cover up to three cycles. Once you have everything under control every alternate day should suffice.

Fleas and their off-spring are pretty adept at slipping through the net, so make sure you put a flea collar inside the bag when you first start to vacuum. When full, seal the bag tightly and dispose of it off your property.

Treat the outside surrounds of your home

One excellent method of getting rid of fleas in the outside surrounds of your property, is to flood your to drown them and then follow up with flea outdoor sprays and powders and treat garden sheds, tools shed, pet hutches.

And finally, you always have the option of Googling or ringing around for a pest control operator who specialises in non toxic sprays e.g. Cedarwood Oil, which will not harm your kids, pets and or plants.

Below is a video with useful information about commercial flea and pest control.

Return to top of page

If this info made you wag your tail, please Like and Share, and leave us a Comment